Wednesday, July 06, 2005

web sites and the surfing experience

There is very little that is more frustrating than not being able to find what you want. There are many reasons why you may not be able to find what you're looking for, but one reason should not be that the web site search functionality is broken.

In that respect, Yodobashi fails miserably compared to Bic Camera. At Bic Camera's site, I typed into the search bar the name of the game I was looking for and hit enter. Done. All found. At Yodbashi, I typed in the name of the game and hit enter, and got a Yodobashi page with no message text; just the regular default menu bar and copyright footers. Very informative. I didn't even know if the search found anything; as far as I know the site hit a bug while trying to search. I tried browsing and after clicking through 10 pages actually found the game I was looking for, but searching for it gave me a blank page or no results, at various times. I went back to the site after 20 minutes and the search finally worked properly. I guess the site was broken.

No comments: