Thursday, May 15, 2008

Fantastic W cover

The Lipstick Page Forums Beauty & Fashion Blog has a post about Charlize Theron on the cover of W (high end [inaccessible] fashion magazine). Check it out! It's an interestingly-composed picture with perfect light exposure and impeccable colors. Theron looks fantastic.

Update: my comment on exposure was probably redundant - any good photographer can get perfect exposure - whereas there's something about the color balance and saturation that enhances the burnished effect. A washed out yet rich image that makes me feel like she's in the desert.

The photo fascinates me so I'm spending an inordinate amount of time trying to put it into words :P

4 comments:

Dain said...

I thought your comment was astute, at least, considering I only took a middling class in black & white photography in high school, and that's about as far as it extended.

She is in fact in the Mojave Desert.

Hey, I may be headed to Korea to teach in a few months, do you know of any good Japanese grammar books with which I could conceivably teach myself?

kuri* said...

Thanks!

Ah, that explains my impression of the desert.

I am a big fan of JAPANESE: THE SPOKEN LANGUAGE by Eleanor Jorden and Mari Noda. It's quite intensive on the grammar explanations but I feel gives a much better grounding than popular books like Japanese for Busy People (which is probably targeted at the casual learner, whereas Jorden's book is probably for academic settings). The one flaw is the lack of hiragana and kanji - the books are all romanized Japanese - but there's a lot of material available to supplement those areas.

MIT has online coursework available:
http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Foreign-Languages-and-Literatures/21F-501Beginning-Japanese-IFall2004/CourseHome/index.htm

I hope you post about the Korean brands if you end up going there!

kuri* said...

course link repost: beginning Japanese

Dain said...

Thank you so much! I'm hoping I'll travel around a bit, and I'll definitely keep my eye peeled for beauty brands for sure. It might break me out of ennui. : )