Monday, June 21, 2010

materialism: stating the obvious: rule 1 of online shopping

Well, rule 1 perhaps should be "don't spend more than you can afford," but I'm going to start with a rule that occurred to me this morning:

1. Shop for specific items. Don't go browsing; it's ideal to go online with a specific item and a price range in mind already. Browsing through stuff is an easy way to end up with things you don't need and won't use.
It's best if you have a specific product in mind too. For example, go shopping for the Manolo Blahnik Kidskin Low-Heel Halter, Navy in size 8 (I wish! Gorgeous shoe).

I was looking for decants of Bergamote by The Different Company, and ended up on Beauty Habit's Outlet page, a very dangerous page with Jurlique products and other delightful skin care and cosmetics offerings. I collected a cart full of products, and had to run off to work. Later on I'll cull out the unnecessary items and perhaps buy something.

2 comments:

ChyiX2 said...

Ah, now I know why I spend waay too much when shopping online. I know it's wrong but I just can't help myself. Thanks, I'll keep this rule in mind for future reference:)

kuri said...

I have the same problem :) but I just noticed the pattern recently.

Online shopping is just way too easy, so I think it's better if you browse only, and buy only, not both.