Sunday, August 12, 2007

gin no budou (the silver grape)

One of my favorite desserts in Tokyo is a fluffy, cloud-like concoction of a cheesecake called かご盛り 白らら (kagomori shirara). Made by 銀のぶどう (gin no budou; the silver grape), it has a slightly thicker texture than whipped cream and has a very delicate cheesecake flavor - closer to a yogurty cheese than anything else. It reminds me of a liquid cheese and honey dessert I enjoyed in Paris - apparently simplicity itself, but divine. Sadly, the kagomori shirara has a shelf life of a mere 2 days, so it's only available in Tokyo. If you like cream and cheese, do try it on a visit here.

I could have sworn that I took pictures, but I can't find them at the moment.

Instead, I'll leave you with pictures of another of my favorite desserts, available at Cavalieri in Hatagaya. 渋谷区幡ヶ谷2-6-7 tel:03-3320-7587 Map. Sadly I don't recall the name of the dessert, but it's a house specialty with an Italian name. I need to go back there soon.

2 comments:

Andrea Leite Marques said...

I want his. I need this.
Gaaaaahhh...
a.

kuri* said...

I hope you can come visit! They're quite tasty.