Monday, February 18, 2008

coin laundry AKA laundromats

Two cool things about Japanese laundromats (usually called コインランドリー coin laundry):

* Hot water (my washing machine only uses cold water as far as I can tell. There's only one water inlet...

* A 30 second fast rinse option - clean the machine before you use it! That is so cool. If detergent and hot water gets used here that'd be even cooler, but I don't know if that's the case. Anyway, a little more sanitary than your regular laundromat.

Non sequitur: there was a sign saying something to the effect that "Pet washing is prohibited." I assume they mean pet clothing and blankets, etc., but it could be construed to mean the pet itself. Maybe that's only possible in my literal thinking. They had a different sign specifically rejecting the washing of pet blankets and such.

2 comments:

yamster said...

I like the rinse idea! Does it cost extra?

Hm, pet washing. For some reason I never picture the Japanese as having pets...

kuri* said...

Nope, it's a free option. Push the yellow button within 10 seconds of adding your money :)

Actually, quite a few pet owners, but proportionally probably not as many as in the U.S. They have a cat cafe in Kichijoji - 15 cats on staff :)