Monday, September 13, 2010

Tokyo travel: Ryokan Shigetsu

There aren't that many hotels in Tokyo that offer Japanese-style tatami rooms, but this place in Asakusa does.

However, they have a curfew of 11pm, and they are pretty strict about non-guests being in the ryokan after that time.
I took my relatives there, and we arrived just before 11, thanks to poor traffic. The elderly gentlemen checked them in, but before showing them to their room, he said to me "Sorry, we close at 11. Only guests. Sorry." So I couldn't even see my relatives to their room and had to take off.

When I made reservations, the lady answering the phone was very nice and friendly, but their strict non-guest policy is a bit uncomfortable.
I understand why they have their policy, but Annex KATSUTARO Ryokan is a bit more amenable to the needs of travelers. Annex Katsutaro staff are not always so personable though, but the rooms are pretty nice.
Next time I'll recommend the Hotel Grand Palace to visitors, even though they don't have Japanese-style rooms. It's the most friendly to the needs of travelers.

No comments: